One of the things that get me every time concerning inflatable stand up paddle boards is coming across an iSUP that makes you question whether it’s rigid or inflatable, and this actually happened to me with the Gold Coast Surfboards Anima Foam SUP.
I had to make some quick queries to make sure it was an inflatable because it looked more rigid than any iSUP that I’ve seen in a while.
The Gold Coast Surfboards company is known for their quality hard surfing boards, however, that’s really not my concern; because with this built quality that is put into this inflatable paddle board and which you are about to witness, I wouldn’t go for a rigid board given what an iSUP like this one can offer. The Anima Foam is made with killer details and finishing with an irresistible price.
- Large non-slip Deck pad
- Pre-Installed GoPro Mount on the nose
- Two attachment devices for leash, anchor or light
- Tie downs for on deck storage
- Built-in carry handle
- Double concave bottom for less drag
- Flat rails for stability
- Double concave bottom for less drag
- Package includes :
- 10' leash
|Dimensions||10'4" long x 32" wide x 5" thick|
|Material||Heavy-duty PVC drop-stitch fabric|
|Weight limit||275 lbs|
|Number of D-rings||
|Recommended PSI||12 - 15 PSI|
|Fins||Two thrusters and one 9" fin|
|Carry handles||1 center carry handle|
The Gold Coast Surfboards Anima Foam SUP is basically a large board which measures a 10 feet and 4 inches in length, 32 inches in width, and it is 5 inches thick. Those dimensions are not random at all; on the contrary, I always happen to find that a 10 feet iSUP is the perfect size for most people who are seeking good performance, full control over the board, and of course fun.
That being said, It doesn’t mean that the Anima Foam SUP is designed only for some people; this board can take up to 275 lbs which can be a big, if that’s the word to express what I want to say, fully grown up adult with cargo and equipment on board.
Concerning width, the best you could get is usually 34 inches when it comes to paddle boards with side chambers or yoga inflatable paddle boards. Thus, 32 inches for an all-round board is pretty awesome. The Anima Foam is made to provide you with enough space where you can comfortably balance your body which has a direct impact on the board’s whole performance. This reminds me to tell you that such a board can be quite the deal for anyone who is trying stand up paddling for the same time.
As for thickness, 5 inches is going to absolutely keep you floating smoothly with great stability levels. It’ll be a difficult task to bend this guy or cause it to submerge in water even when it reaches maximum weight capacity.
This is the part where the focus happens to be on the material with which the iSUP is constructed. As previously mentioned, the Gold Coast Surfboards Anima Foam extremely simulates a rigid board and that’s because it’s made of 4mm compressed croc texture IXPE on deck and rails; it makes it look and feel so tight and stiff I had a hard time trying to accept that it’s inflatable.
Not only that; this board’s hull is made of slick HDPE double concave which makes it virtually indestructible. Moreover, the closed cell and the fully watertight EPS foam at the core enables the board to take high levels of air pressure for maximum stiffness and rigidity, and with the durable fiber-sandwich epoxy shell, the Anima Foam is as strong as an inflatable paddle board could ever get.
Further, the drop-stitch used to put the board together is go professional it makes it look like one whole piece. It’s quite remarkable when you look at the finishing and the smallest details of the board; the meticulousness and minuteness put to it is the real deal. Yet; you can clearly see that the Anima is an iSUP with a basic design that can be the fit for anyone.
It’s these features that makes inflatables one step ahead of the rigid ones; maybe it’s my personal opinion but you’ve got to admit that being extremely portable and transportable is something you won’t get anywhere else. The Anima SUP is an entry-level iSUP par excellence, and it is featured with everything that would make it a very functional board. I’m not going to make it any longer, and I’m going to state its most prominent features.
- First, we have a durable and user friendly soft foam pad that covers two thirds of the board’s back; it’s special for the vacuum molded fiberglass epoxy construction that adds to the durability of the whole board protecting it from possible damage.
- Second, a GoPro mount is on the nose which is not something you’d find on most other iSUPs. I mean honestly, who would own a GoPro and wouldn’t want to rock it on their iSUP? Everybody would love that.
- Then, you’ll find a bungee cord that connects 4 D-rings right on the deck for extra cargo securing. It comes really handy if you ask me especially if you are into long tours; you get to take whatever meals and equipment you need.
- Also, a reinforced central carry handle will allows you a comfortable position to holding and carrying the inflated board once out of the water.
- Finally, A tri-fin navigation system which I was really pleased with; one fin is central while the other two are smaller, lateral, and fixed. Those fins are all removable, they add greatly to the balance and speed of the board, as they actually did a great job tracking.
Having mentioned the fact that the Gold Coast Surfboards Anima Foam would make a great iSUP for beginners, we can agree that the very same board is not meant to hit high speed or be as competitive. However, the Anima Foam is a stable board with great possibilities to control and manoeuver.
Its sleek, basic, yet sharp design enables it to knife through the water smoothly and effortlessly. Add to that the navigation system mentioned ahead which does enhance the board’s performance in whole.
I wouldn’t say that this package is what everyone’s looking for, but maybe that’s for a solid reason that the company knows about. What I’m trying to say is that the Gold Coast Surfboards Anima Foam does not come in an all-inclusive package.
You’ll find the board, that’s obvious, the three fins, and a leash. There is no paddle included, not a backpack, and no repair kit. This is not something new but I was hoping that such a good inflatable paddle board would get a package that is as good.
But that shouldn’t be a problem; if you really like the board you’ll find a way around it.
- The greatest thing about the Anima SUP is its sleek and strong design which makes it look and feel like an rigid board.
- The board is great for beginners because it’s very stable, and hard to bend at the center under heavy weight load.
- It’s featured with three fins for greater tracking.
- It’s very well and strongly made you can’t tell its pieces apart.
- The Gold Coast Surfboards Anima Foam doesn’t come in an all-inclusive package. Neither a paddle, nor a carry backpack is included.
Gold Coast Surfboards ANIMA FOAM iSUP