The Jimmy Styks is one of the best inflatable stand up paddle board that I have come across, and that’s for obvious reasons. Did it ever happen to you that you mistake an inflatable board for a hard one? Right; it doesn’t happen much. Simply, it’s because there aren’t many iSUPs that look or feel as good as the authentic ones.
Long story short; the Jimmy Styks are doing a great job making some pretty outstanding iSUPs that suit different riders and different water activities with very innovative designs and features.
To see that closely, this review is going to shed light on the Puffer; one of Jimmy Styks’s popular iSUPs, which is considered to be highly versatile and convenient for all levels including beginners.
- Drop-stitch fabric providing unparalleled rigidity and durability
- Comfy EVA deck pad
- Utility tie downs – keep your travel gear secure while paddling
- Roll-N-Go Portability
- 1 stainless steel D-ring on the tail for safety leash attachment
- Package includes :
- Adjustable travel Paddle
- High pressure dual action pump
- Fin & hardware
- 10″ coil leash
- Repair kit
- Valve wrench
- Board carry bag
|Dimensions||11’2″ long x 31″ wide x 5.9″ thick|
|Material||Heavy-duty PVC drop-stitch fabric|
|Weight limit||270 lbs|
|Number of D-rings||
|Recommended PSI||12 – 15 PSI|
|Fins||1 removable fin|
|Carry handles||1 center carry handle|
The Puffer is quite a large guy of 11.2 feet for length, 31 inches for width and 5.9 inches for thickness. So far so good; I have to admit that these dimensions, at least for me, are the real deal.
An 11.2 feet long board means an endless list of possibilities for what you can do and take on board. Once you hit the water, all of that space is yours to use. Also, as you can see in the pictures, the Puffer is designed with a nose rocker making it pretty fit for some surfing and choppy water. Thus, and regardless of its length, the Puffer should be easy to handle and manoeuver which means you’ll be hitting two birds with one stone; space and control. Add this to it; this board can hold up to 270 lbs.
Moving to width, I should probably tell you what I really think. A stable iSUP is always what everyone’s looking for. The good thing is that the Puffer is only one inch away from the best wideness measurement on the market. That being said, you’ll have nothing to worry about because you’ll be getting what an advanced paddler would get if this was your first time ordering an inflatable paddle board. However, I must tell you that the Puffer is not primarily meant to target stability.
Finally, thickness has always been a great concern in this industry. Luckily, the Jimmy Styks know that in order to keep their iSUPs ahead of the line, they’ve got to respect the customers’ need for a strong and a flexible iSUP, and dry feet sometimes; that’s why the Puffer is nearly 6 inches thick.
On this part, every iSUP gets to brag about how strong it is, and so will the Puffer. This board is made of military-grade nylon and seam-welded PVC material. These two put together result in an incredibly rigid board thanks to the multi-layers used to construct it. Not only that; the drop-stitch core consists of a top and bottom fabric layer held together by an array of nylon tethers, allowing the cavity to hold high levels of pressure while maintaining form and rigidity.
The final product is a board that turns amazingly stiff , firm and hard once fully inflated. Yet, it’s pretty fascinating to witness all that rigidity and stiffness deflate away easily, so that the board can be rolled up and put in a bag. That’s some great deal of flexibility right there.
Features are something that all stand up paddlers happen to agree about; they are something a hard board can’t afford. I’m not comparing the two because there is quite a vast different, however, I have to do it right and state how cool and practical an iSUP is. First things first though, the Puffer is featured with:
- A nice and pointy rocker nose that makes the movements of the board faster and smoother with optimal control on chopped water.The design of the board itself is pretty nice and lean; the color choices and distribution are simple, yet, I find the Puffer’s looks very sporty and elegant.
- Another main feature is the foam rubber traction pad; it’s so soft I’m telling you it makes me feel like sleeping on it all day. This traction pad covers half the board’s back including the cargo space on the front, and it does a great job preventing occasional slippage which automatically boosts your balance.
- Moreover, the Puffer is featured with a bungee system that is really nice in fact; the bungee cord is extremely thick and tight for maximum security, yet, it’s flexible and easy to use.
- Further, you’ll find a rigid stainless steel D-ring on the board’s tail, and that’s where you’ll get to attach the safety leash.
- Finally; the Puffer is featured with one central and large fin that is removable for safe and easy packing. It does a good job tracking and it’s well-built and durable.
- SPECS: 11'6" Long 31" Wide 5.9" Thick | Supports Riders Up to 280 LBS
- All AROUND ADVENTURE INFLATABLE SUP DESIGN: Inflatable SUP | Lightweight, Rigid and Exceptionally Durable
- INCLUDES ACCESSORY BUNDLE: Adjustable Carbon Travel Paddle, Click-N-Go Standard Keyless Fin, 10' Coil Leash, Dual Action...
The Jimmy Styks is usually very clear about the prime reason behind building each of their boards, and this time, the Puffer with its rocker nose is meant to hit some choppy water with less effort and more control. The power of this board lays in its ability to respond to quick maneuvers, and given the fact that it’s 31 inches wide makes it even better because it would still allow you to feel a good deal of stability.
The Puffer might not be really fast due to its body design. However, it’s pretty light to control, and a beginner can quickly get a grasp of how to ride and steer it.
Honestly speaking; I always check this section before any other because a good package means everything. I’m very pleased with the Puffer’s all-inclusive package which contains the following:
- The board.
- A 10’ coil leash.
- A carry backpack.
- 1 stabilizer fin/ removable.
- A repair kit with a valve handle.
- A strap to keep the deflated board safely wrapped up.
- A Jimmy Styks adjustable travel paddle that goes up to 8 feet and 10 inches.
- A dual action pump that inflates the board in less than 5 minute if you do it fast and hard.
- The greatest thing about the Puffer is the price tag that covers such a well built and strong iSUP.
- It’s featured with everything a quality board needs.
- It comes in an all-inclusive package; nothing missing.
- It looks and feels really good; it’s extremely firm and thick.
- It can take choppy water easily.
- Some of you might experience a little obstacle when it comes to the stability of the board, because with a rocker nose usually stability is not a target. Nevertheless, the Puffer performed beautifully in both, flat and choppy water.
Last update on 2021-01-22 at 14:33 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API