Perhaps you’re wondering what is an eagle doing at sea and the answer to that is easy: it’s searching for a decent kayak.
Sea eagle has proven to be one of the pioneering manufacturers when it comes to making quality kayaks, specifically inflatable ones.
In fact, this company has only surfaced recently in the market but surprisingly, it’s already taking up the spot light and for all the good reasons too.
Take the SE370 for example which is one of Sea Eagle’s latest additions to a long line of successful inflatable Kayaks. This kayak might just be the company’s favorite son at the moment as it has been harvesting nothing but positive reviews.
However, it has never been advisable to make a judgement based on what other people think of a product which is why we’ll take a more in depth look at the components of this kayak and you can decide for yourself.
- NMMA Certified
- Open and close drain valve
- Five deluxe one-way valves
- Sun & saltwater resistant hull material
- Lashed down inflatable spray skirts
- I-beam construction floor
- 2 skegs on the bottom for better tracking & speed
- Pressure Gauge, Repair kit & printed instructions
- Bow & Stern Grab Line
|Exterior||381 cm x 86 cm|
|Hull Weight||14.5 kg|
|Load Capacity||3 Persons or 295 kg|
|Interior||325 cm x 38 cm|
|Tube Diameter||25.4 cm|
|Deflated||79 cm x 48 cm x 20 cm|
|Chambers||Three (Port, Starboard and Floor)|
|Material||38 mil PolyKrylar (K80 PVC)|
|Seam||High Frequency Welded|
|Floor||Inflatable I-beam construction|
|Air Valves||5 Deluxe One Way|
|Inflation & Assembly time||8 min.|
|Whitewater Rating||Up to Class III|
|Inflation Pressure||1.1 psi|
First things first, let’s talk about the overall quality of this kayak. The SE370 is an inflatable kayak and that’s important to note because you cannot expect it to act like a solid kayak, you should expect more from it.
I might be pro inflatable but I don’t think you can blame me knowing all the perks that come with it. Evidently, a lot of people look down onto inflatable kayaks, thinking they are less rigid than traditional ones but that’s not completely true.
In fact, the SE370 is made of extremely durable polykrylar PVC material that is often found in military equipment, making this kayak sun and salt water resistant.
Actually, not only is this kayak rigid but it’s also extremely flexible. The weight and qualities of the SE370 make it a lot easier to transport or store this thing. So, forget about finding a large enough car for transportation or more space in your garage for storage as this product can fit in a back pack. All you need to do is deflate it, roll it up, pack it and you’re ready to go.
When it comes to the basic features of the SE370, you can tell that this boat is made to get through pretty much anything. However, it’s still an entry level kayak which makes it good for advanced paddlers but great for beginners.
Personally, I think that the primary feature of the SE370 is comfort and that will make it a lot less tedious for touring and long cruises.
The entirety of the cockpit is designed so as to guarantee maximum comfort for both paddlers which can be seen in the quality of the seats and the extended leg room.
This Sea Eagle also features two inflatable spray skirts on the front and the back of the kayak so that you can keep yourself and, most importantly, your cargo dry at all times.
Obviously, the SE370 is made for two paddlers but it can be manned by one or even three users, depending on their total weight.
On paper, this kayak is made strong enough to handle 650 lbs but in real life I would say it can take a little bit more.
Weight limit actually depends a lot on the floor of the boat which in this case is an inflatable I-beam construction which is a design meant to ensure comfort but also strength.
Quality might be the primary factor behind every purchase out there but nothing gets through if it doesn’t fit. Hence, it must be understood that the SE370 is a big boat and that comes with a price that I like to call ‘more fun’.
I understand that kayaking can be an individualistic sport which can be achieved with this product but if you’re into group work and company then you’d always have enough room.
Speaking of which, the SE370 might weight a mere 32 pounds but the exterior alone measures 12’ 2” in length by 2’ 10” in width which is awesome.
On the other hand, and more importantly, the interior of this kayak measures 10’ 8” by 1’ 1” which if you ask me is enough space to start a business.
On a serious note however, the SE370 is undeniably a large boat that is made to host several paddlers at the same time and that is in fact the essence of this specific kayak.
When it comes to performance, there’s one thing you must know which is that inflatable kayaks are more recreational than anything when compared to other types of kayaks.
This is not to say that inflatable kayaks don’t perform as well as sturdy ones but they are not expected to as they are more suitable for people with a simpler approach to the sport.
That being said, the SE370 is a beast performer in flat water, it tracks in a straight line nicely and doesn’t require much paddling power to keep going.
On the other hand, it might be a little bit more demanding to cruise in strong currents but it is still very doable, depending on your skill level.
The body or hull of this kayak is a flat bottom which is the most common type amongst recreational kayaks. This type of hulls is great at one thing and one thing along and that is providing you with maximal stability. Meaning, no matter how wild you go, you probably won’t be able to capsize this kayak.
Moreover, the SE370 is equipped with 2 medium size skegs which are meant to help you manoeuvre easily and fight side winds.
You probably did not know this but the SE370K comes in 4 different packaging options:
- The deluxe SOLO and this is great for you if you’re not planning on sharing this boat with anyone else. This package thus includes only one inflatable seat, one paddle, a powerful foot pump and a repair kit.
- The deluxe package is also very interesting for those of you who intend to share their experience with others and to accommodate for that, the package includes two seats, two paddles, a foot pump, a carry bag and a repair kit.
- The pro package is slightly different than the previous one but not by a mile as it comes with 2 deluxe kayak seats, two collapsible paddles, a foot pump, a back pack carry bag and the standard repair kit.
- The quick sail package might be the last but it’s definitely not the least as it encompasses two deluxe seats, two paddles, a quick sail, a foot pump, a back pack carry bag and a repair kit.
- The Sea Eagle SE370 is an inflatable kayak and that is very significant. With a kayak like this, transportation and storing will be the last of your concerns.
- Not only is this kayak flexible and easy to handle but it’s also extremely rigid, given the overall PVC build material and the extra coated bottom for more support.
- The best thing in my opinion about the Sea Eagle SE370 is the diversity of packaging options it offers. So, if you really want the boat for yourself, you won’t have to pay for the extra equipment you won’t need. (Nonetheless, my advice to you is to get a comprehensive package because you never know when you’ll need that extra seat).
- The Sea Eagle SE370 is one of the best budge-friendly inflatable kayaks on the market.
- I really had to think hard to point out something that I don’t like about this product but the only thing I can think of is the fact that inflatables are a bit more demanding when it comes to tracking in a straight line. Other than that, this right here is a great option for beginning paddlers.