Airhead has revolutionized the inflatable paddle board market. Indeed, a company so young yet so prolific is challenging the norms of the industry.
Alongside an abundance of various beginner models with significantly distinctive features, Airhead has introduced their latest and greatest Airhead AHSUP-3.
The AHSUP-3 is a peculiar board to say the least. This is one of the better optimized boards for entry level users and it all boils down to one extra feature. But before we get into that, let’s take a closer look at the board’s dimensions, quality, prominent features, packaging and performance.
- Tapered rails and aggressive nose
- Extra rugged drop stitch construction
- Rigid with the performance of a fiberglass board
- Anti-skid EVA pad provides secure footing
- 4 D-rings to strap your gear to up front
- 2 small side-fixed fins and 1 central detacheable fin
- 3 carrying handles
- Package includes :
- Backpack with mesh panels for carrying the SUP and all accessories
- High pressure hand pump, anemometer, and valve wrench
|Dimensions||10’8″ x 38″ x 6″|
|Material||Military-grade PVC + dropstitch construction|
|Number of D-rings||
|Recommended PSI||15 PSI|
|Fins||Two small side fins, + 1 removable center fin|
|Carry handles||3 carry handles|
The Airhead AHSUP-3 might be an entry level board but it’s not necessarily small. In fact, this inflatable SUP board measures up to 10 feet 8 inches in length which is legendary but also very efficient. Indeed, this isn’t a vain attempt to blaze the viewer but the longer the board the quicker it is to pick up pace on calm water.
Also, the fact that the board is almost 11 feet long makes it perfect for young adults and adults. However, if you’re considerably smaller or younger than that, you might want to consider getting a smaller board.
In terms of width, the Airhead AHSUP-3 measures an astonishing 38 inches which is fairly unfamiliar. The fact that this board measures 38 inches in width is rather shocking that until you take a look at the picture of the product and realize that it has side supports. These supporting bags give the board an interesting look but most importantly they induce stability significantly.
Thickness is quite a significant dimension amongst inflatable paddle boards specifically because it is the only thing standing between you and the water. The AHSUP-3 measures 6 inches in thickness which is far better than most boards out there and that’s because a board this thick will never dive under at the center under extra weight whereas it’s very likely to happen on a board that is less thick.
Quality is hardly the manufacturer’s main concern and that explains why people find it difficult to trust an inflatable product when compared to a solid one.
However, Airhead made sure that these claims drop right at the AHSUP-3’s feet. This board was designed to outlast the most outrageous obstacles which is why it is strictly made of military PVC material. This I admit is one of the most durable materials out there but the company has proven that it’s even stronger with a double drop stitch construction, making this board virtually indestructible.
In common English, this means that the board at hand is an actual tank as it’s has been tested to overcome rough terrains, high drops and the most unlikely getting run over by a car. If this proves anything, it is that the Airhead AHSUP-3 is built to last.
Even the most basic features give away just how much effort and dedication were invested into the Airhead AHSUP-3. So, let’s check out the most prominent elements on the board and determine how useful they are.
- The first thing that attracts your attention when looking at this board has got to be the side supports. These are extra airbags, one on each side, with the purpose to enhance the stability of the board and allow more freedom to the user (that’s the reason why this board is called “SS : Super Stable”). Indeed, these supports will open up a whole new door of experiences for you; experiences like fishing, kayaking, diving and so on.
- The gripping pad is also a determining factor on the AHSUP-3 as it is quite an essential feature. The thing that makes this pad special is that it covers almost 50% of the surface, enabling you to get a firmer grip on the board, improve your control of the board and locate yourself comfortably while moving.
- The D-rings + bungee cord net has got to make this list because it is one of the most useful features on an inflatable SUP board period. Indeed, this net will prove to be extremely efficient once you’ll need to transport or store anything from your fishing rod to your paddle or sandals.
- The triple fin navigation system that the AHSUP-3 hosts is actually impressive. This is one of the most recommended sets for an easier more agile navigation and this board has the best of it. Also, note that these fans are removable and should be done so in shallow water and while surfing in order to preserve them better.
- Last but definitely not the least significant mention on the AHSUP-3 goes to the nifty aesthetic design. The board is not only impressively built but also looks like a war machine. The camouflage effect is rather impressive and looks far better than any of the colors that will stand out bright and shiny. This is especially a good feature for those of you who are really into fishing and would like to blend in with their environment.
Packaging can easily make or break a board, depending on whether the board comes with everything you’ll need to maintain it or not. If not then believe me, you’re looking at some rough times up ahead. Luckily for you, the AHSUP-3 comes in with everything you’ll need to stay on top of your game at all times:
- The board comes with one high pressure hand pump which is an essential tool in the paddler’s inventory. Also, this pump comes with a pressure gauge so that you can pump up your board to the appropriate degree (15PSI).
- The package also includes a mesh bag that will make your life a lot easier. This bag will not only help you transport and store your board easily but it’ll also allow it to dry faster while inside the bag.
- Further, 3 removable fins are also included in the package. These fins are made of top quality material, making them extra tough yet extremely flexible.
When it comes to performance, there is no denying that the AHSUP-3 is a solid competitor and can perform on a high level when compared to any other recreational board. However, do not try to compare its performance to that of a race SUP board because it’s simply unfair as this board is optimized to better accommodate for beginner and entry level paddlers and at that it is a beast.
- The Airhead AHSUP-3 is a very well-engineered inflatable SUP board that’s best-suited for beginners and young adults new to stand up paddleboarding.
- The Airhead AHSUP-3 is a Super Stable inflatable SUP board.
- It’s a huge board with a large eva deck pad designed to provide secure footing.
- The Airhead AHSUP-3 is an expensive inflatable stand up paddle board. You’ll have to shell our some serious dough to get this board.
- Because this board is quite large and has some extra weight (the two supporting bags on each side), don’t expect it glide or manoeuvre fast.
- It is normal for some water to get on the board, but because this one has those two extra side chambers, water doesn’t drain off the back of the board that easily.
The package could’ve included a paddle especially considering the price tag.