Airhead is one of the few brands in the industry that is actually considered to be reliable and I’m not saying this out of compassion but strictly based on statistics. This company has enriched the market with too many inflatable SUPs and so far it has been attracting the attention of many.
The Airhead Cruise 1030 is one of the brand’s greatest accomplishments and one of their latest additions to the market. Hence, this board is an upgrade that has taken into consideration most if not all of the previous Airheads. That being said, let’s take a look at the Cruise 1030.
- Extra thick (4mm) comfortable EVA traction pad
- 6 Stainless D-Rings, 4 of which are attached with a bungee cord
- EZ Push Hi Pressure Valve
- 1 comfortable center carry handle
- Package includes :
- Mesh backpack
- Stainless steel tow ring
- Hi pressure hand pump & Pressure gauge
- Valve wrench
- Board strap
- Repair kit
|Dimensions||10’6″ x 30″ x 4″|
|Material||Reinforced drop-stitch construction with X-Cross technology|
|Weight limit||100 – 210 lbs|
|Number of D-rings||6 Stainless D-rings
|Recommended PSI||15 PSI|
|Fins||3 Classic Removable Fins, (2 x 6″, 1 x 9″)|
|Carry handles||1 center carry handle|
Fortunately, the Cruise 1030 stands at 10 feet 6 inches in length which is a perfect size that will significantly enhance the board’s ability to cut through water like a fish. As far as user compatibility goes, the Cruise 1030 is designed to perfectly fit young adult and adult paddlers and that is quite a wide scope. Hence, if you’re smaller / younger, you might want to consider a different model.
A board is only as good as it is wide because the width of a stand up paddle board impacts an essential property of the vessel and that is balance. At 30 inches in width, the Cruise 1030 stands safe and secure because there is no way this board would budge under regular stream / currents. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying that this Airhead is a statue but you would definitely notice the degree of stability when you are on top of the board.
The board’s length will also impact your movement surface which in this case is large enough to play a basketball game. So, enjoy it.
Often times than not, thickness is underrated because at the end of the day, the slimmer the board the better looking it is. However, you must also note that the slimmer the board the more fragile it is. Hence, the Cruise decided to stick to a standard 4 inches which is alright. To understand the conflict a little better you must know that boards measuring anywhere less than 4 inches are very likely to bend at the center under consistent weight. That being said, you can argue that this Airhead is beyond the edge of collapse by an inch.
Quality is also a determining factor for most inflatable paddle boards and for this one specifically. There’s no question that the 1030 is a solid board but how solid is it really?
The simple answer to that question lies in the foundation of the board itself. The Cruise 1030 is strictly made of robust PVC material which is equivalent to the stuff Zodiac boats are made of. Yet, Airhead thought it would only be safe to step up their game a little further via an industrial drop stitch construction. Instead of the standard glue and pack method, the company sought the safer alternative of stitching which is not only more durable than glue but also easier to fix.
In simple terms, the Cruise 1030 is built to last, especially when faced with its natural enemies and at that it is a beast. So, as long as you keep this board within its element, fear not to damage it because that’s technically impossible.
Even the most basic features of the Cruise 1030 stand in owe in front of the practicality of the board. There is no need to exaggerate a statement when this board can actually deliver everything it claims and that cannot be said about most boards in the industry. However, the fact that this Airhead is inflatable has a lot to do with that and because of it the board has a lot more to offer.
- The most compelling feature on the Cruise must be the beautifully designed gripping pad that covers two third of the board. This pad is unlike any other because not only is it extremely comfortable for your feet and knees but it’s also laid out dynamically to reinforce the most common balance positions for the paddler. The gripping pad will enhance your balance noticeably and improve your grip over the board which has a direct influence on controls. Also, note that a pad is even more useful when you’ll need to climb back on top of the board from the water.
- Another radiant feature of the Cruise 1030 is the Bungee cord + stainless steel D-rings placement right by the nose of the board. This placement is indeed phenomenal because it makes a very practical cargo net. This feature will make transporting and storing anything from your paddle to your fishing gear a piece of cake. Not only is that a relief but it will also enable you to enjoy a hands free experience when you really need it the most.
- The next feature on this list goes to the upgraded navigation system which harbors 3 fins instead of one thus making it a nudge more efficient. It is true that a single fin system can perform pretty well. However, the triple fin system is built to make the whole dynamics function impressively better.
There is no denial that an inflatable paddle board’s package has a huge influence on the paddler’s experience and that is because it can make a huge difference concerning the board’s maintenance and accessibility. Fortunately, the Airhead Cruise 1030 is not about to let you down after providing so many great features and with that it provide you with:
- A very efficient high pressure hand pump + pressure gauge to help you inflate the board to the appropriate degree.
- The board also comes with a mesh back pack which is both practical and smart. The bag will make transporting and storing the board a delight whereas the mesh part will help the board dry even faster.
- A valve wrench, a board strap and a basic repair kit (which I doubt you’ll ever need) are also included in the package.
In terms of performance, all we can say is that this board is made to conquer. The Cruise 1030 might be a recreational board but there is nothing it can’t do when compared to a higher grade racing board. The only difference is that the speed potency that is invested in racing boards was invested in balance and user friendliness on the 1030 and that is necessarily a great trait, especially knowing that this is a board designed for beginning and intermediate paddlers.
- The Airhead Cruise 1030 is a very well-made recreational inflatable paddle board.
- It features a classic “woody” style and a five-inch nose rocker.
- It’s shape allows it to glide effortlessly through most flat-water conditions.
- It feels rigid and sturdy when fully inflated.
- It’s also quite stable.
- The Airhead Cruise 1030 is just 4 inches thick.
- It doesn’t come with a paddle.
Airhead Cruise 1030 – More Images