There’s a lot you need to know about inflatable stand up paddle boards but quality has got to be your primary concern. Inflatable SUPs have revolutionized the paddling industry and some would even say that inflatable SUP boards are now dominating and it’s all for a very good reason.
Practicality is the one trait that hard/rigid stand up paddle boards lack; they are extremely fun and powerful but they’re so difficult to manage. That is a problem solved thanks to inflatable paddle boards. Inflatable SUPs are easily the best invention in the water sport realm because they harbour all regular board traits and a little more.
A great example of what inflatable SUPs should be like is the Driftsun. This is a board that can perform all the duties of a hard board and fits inside a back pack once done. However, there is a lot more to it than just that. Let’s check it out.
- Military-grade PVC material reinforced with drop stitch construction
- Soft Anti-skid EVA pad provides secure footing
- 5 D-rings; 4 of which attached with a bungee cord up front
- 3 detachable fins
- 3 carrying handles
- Package includes :
- Fully-adjustable 7-foot long fiberglass paddle
- Sleek-looking carrying backpack with comfort straps
- Hand-pump with pressure gauge
- Set of detachable fins
- Patch and repair kit
|10″x 30″x 6″
|Military-grade PVC + dropstitch construction
|Number of D-rings
|Two small removable fins on sides, + 1 center detachable fin
|3 carry handles
The Driftsun is a giant and this time I really mean it. You wouldn’t be able to understand 10 feet in length until you stand beside this board and watch it tower over you. Indeed, the Driftsun might not be the largest board out there but it’s more than enough for teenagers, young adults and adults. The fact that this is a 10 feet long board isn’t only based on the paddler’s size but it’s also meant to induce performance remarkably.
In terms of width, this board measures an astounding 30 inches of pure balance. With a platform this large, your board will be able to sail as smooth as a ship. Even for the paddler, it’s much more convenient to ride a wide board as it enables you to move around comfortably and find that perfect balance without risking falling off.
As for thickness, the Driftsun measures 6 inches straight which is more than enough. Don’t underestimate the thickness of this board as it is very influential. The fact that this Driftsun is 6 inches thick makes it less susceptible to diving in at the center under a lot of weight. Also, because it’s thick enough, the Driftsun would make a great diving pad whenever you feel like it.
As far as quality is concerned, I’m gonna have to give this board a 9/10 because it’s just that good. To ensure that this 10’ inflatable paddle board will be able to endure the toughest environments, the makers of this board made sure to build it using nothing but military grade PVC material which is then reinforced via an industrial drop stitch construction, making this product virtually indestructible.
What that translates to in simple English is that you won’t need to worry about where you ride your board or how wild you can go because it is practically impossible to damage it in its designated environment.
Even the most marginal features give away how much effort and dedication were invested into the making of this board. However, today we’ll be looking at some of the board’s most prominent features to see how it sizes up next to competition.
- The first and most prominent feature on the Driftsun needs to be the extended gripping pad, covering over 50% of the platform. The pad is splendid not only because it’s going to help you stay on top of the board during turbulence but it’ll also allow you to move comfortably on top of the board without risking capsizing it. Also, the pad will prove to be extremely helpful when you’ll need a hand to get out of the water.
- The 4 D-rings attached with a bungee cord is also worthy of a strong mention as it is far more convenient than you can imagine. This settlement will make a great cargo net and enable you to transport anything you can think of (fishing gear,paddle, sandals, sunglasses…) hands free. Ain’t that a luxury?
- The carry handles on the top and rear end of the end are worthy of making it on this list as well. These placements are there to help you carry the board outside / inside of the water but they can also function as a base to tow or tie up the board to docks when necessary. Also, speaking of carry handles, the board features a central carry handle for when you want to carry the board on your own.
- Lastly, the Driftsun features a commonly trusted navigation system of 3 fins. The triple fin system has proven to work wonders, which is why most SUPs adopt it. The two smaller fins on the sides will fend off side wind and underwater side currents, keeping you in a straight line at all times whereas the central fin will knife through the water and will significantly improve your control over the board on flat water.
The package in which any inflatable paddle board comes is usually a determining factor as to whether you’ll be taking it home or not. It’s really simple to make up your mind on a board when the package it comes with is satisfying. Luckily, Driftsun decided to hook you up with a complete package and it includes:
- One collapsible carbon fiber paddle which is light and sturdy – This paddle is not only tough but it’s very flexible as well. Not to mention that it is adjustable which will enable you to customize it according to your height and the depth of the water.
- The package also includes 3 detachable fins which slide right in the placements under the board. The fact that they are detachable is for packing practicality but also to help you preserve them by removing them in shallow water.
- The board also comes with a high pressure hand pump which is quite essential. The pump is equipped with a pressure gauge so that you inflate your board to the proper degree (15PSI).
- Most importantly, the package also includes a mesh back pack for easier transportation and storage. Also, the mesh part will do a great job at allowing your board to dry out nice and well.
In terms of performance, all I can tell you is that this board will perform as good as a recreational board can. Don’t get me wrong, recreational boards are not bad performers, they are simply optimized for beginners which puts more emphasis on navigation than speed racing. Also, the board is designed skilfully to be able to track in a straight line really well.
- This is a first but packaging takes the lead on this board as it comes in a package including everything you’ll need to maintain it.
- This is a very stable board, lightweight paddle board that’s best suited for beginners.
- The board might not be the best inflatable paddle board out there but there’s really nothing worth criticism on it.