One of the hardest things to accomplish when looking for a stand up paddle board is finding a product that is all round. There isn’t much room to compare a hard board to an inflatable one as each is special in its own. Hence, you decided to go with an inflatable and I don’t blame you.
Inflatable paddle boards have so much to offer and especially if you’re a beginner in the field. A great example of that is the Gold Coast Surfboards Aqua Discover as it is amongst the best selling inflatable sups as of now and for plenty of good reasons too. If you feel like learning more about this board then hop on the ride and let’s begin at the basics.
- Large non-slip EVA diamond groove deck traction pad
- 10 D-rings; 4 of which are attached with a bungee cord
- Kayak seat/ Backrest attachment D-rings at the center
- 2 small side-fixed fins and 1 central detachable fin
- 1 center carry handle
- Package includes :
- The ultra light 37 oz iRocker dual action high capacity hand pump
- High quality adjustable fiberglass paddle (light and floating)
- iRocker backpack carry bag
- iRocker 10' coiled premium ankle leash
|Dimensions||10'6" long x 31" wide x 6" thick|
|Material||Military-grade PVC material and drop-stitch construction (with artificial wood grain design on the top and bottom deck for clean and modern look)|
|Weight limit||300 lbs|
|Number of D-rings||12 D-rings
|Recommended PSI||12 - 15 PSI|
|Fins||2+1 fin configuration with removable 9” center fin for easy storage|
|Carry handles||2 center carry handles|
People tend to believe that just because they are inflatable, iSUPs are going to be smaller in size. Well, you better think twice before you make the verdict on this little guy. This Gold Coast Surfboards Aqua Discover measures an outstanding 10 feet and 6 inches in length which is slightly daunting. The idea of a board that is twice your size is certainly thrilling yet it’s more than just that. In fact, at this length, the board is made to be perfectly compatible with young adults and adults and that sadly means that it’s no good for younger people.
The width of the board is also very critical especially if you’re a complete beginner and you really need a stable platform to start with. Fortunately, this board stands at a solid 31 inches in width which is far more stable than your previous relationship. Jokes aside, such wide and firm platform is going to significantly improve your balance and eventually allow you to learn faster.
Not to forget another crucial dimension of the board, thickness is considered to be the backbone of an inflatable paddle board as it is the only thing standing between you and the water. At 6 inches, the Gold Coast Surfboards Aqua Discover brings so much relief for those of who are not planning on getting their board submerged every time they hop on it. Also, at such distinct thickness, there is no doubt that this board is going to be much stronger and consequently handle a lot more weight without affecting performance. ( total weight limit 300 lbs)
Quality is certainly a big concern for a lot of iSUP lovers and rightly so as this is definitely different than a hard board. Of course, the risk of punctures is higher but that is not the case with every inflatable paddle board out there. In fact, the difference is immense, depending on what brand we’re talking about.
The Gold Coast Surfboards Aqua Discover at hand is a solid example of how an inflatable paddle board should be built and that includes the base materials. Speaking of which, this iSUP is strictly made of a multi-layered top and bottom PVC fabric which is incredibly strong so much so that it is the same material zodiac boats are made of. Also, the board is further reinforced via a reliable industrial drop stitch construction which substantially enhances the strength of the body, granting it more might.
Perhaps you’re new to the industry and perhaps this is your first inflatable SUP but there is no doubt that you are here for one thing and one thing alone “the extra features”. Yes, the features of the inflatables are what makes them so great and as far as this board is concerned, you got yourself a challenger.
- The first feature which is mildly noticeably but extremely significant is the incredible EVA gripping pad. The pad is literally the heart of this beginner SUP and that is because it might be the only thing keeping you on top of the board. The pad doesn’t only improve your grip over the board but it also grants you a better control of the vessel.
- Then, of course, there is the undeniably useful cargo net which consists of a set of stainless steel D-rings that are connected via a bungee cord. The net has proven to be extremely useful as it enables you to store / transport anything from your fishing gear to your sandals at a minor cost. In fact, it even enables you to cruise hands free and that right there is a luxury.
- Last but definitely not least another strong mention goes to the fact that this bad boy is inflatable. And how could we forget that this board can be deflated in the matter of seconds, rolled up, shoved inside a back pack and transported / stored anywhere at remarkable ease.
Packaging is often viewed as the determinator and yes that is a coined term which means that the packaging can either terminate a board or make it the best yet. Accordingly, Gold Coast Surfboards saw beyond that and thought it would be only fair to hook you up with everything you’ll ever need to maintain it.
- First, the package comes with a nifty bag which will make transportation and storage a charm.
- There is also the unreplaceable adjustable aluminium paddle for (you guessed it) delicate rowing.
- Also, the package includes a high pressure hand pump, a basic repair kit and an ankle leash.
To keep it real, the best thing that can be said about this board is that it is one of the most efficient recreational boards out there. Wait! Before you take that and run, take into consideration the fact that this board is designed primarily for beginners and at that it is unrivaled.
Indeed, the Gold Coast Surfboards Aqua Discover might not be able to compete with a professional race stand up paddle board but it will definitely provide you with all the speed and balance you need to enjoy a warm afternoon on the river bank.
- To stay true to the cause, perhaps the most compelling aspect about this board is the fact that it has so much to offer for a very friendly price tag and that is a tough catch.
- The Aqua Discover comes in an all-inclusive package.
- It features two sets of tie downs for maximum storage.
- The board’s navigation system is also worthy of a mention here as it is a triple fin set instead of the old school single fin and that means more agility and better tracking.
- There is absolutely nothing worth solid criticism on this board. So, if you like it, don’t hesitate!