When it comes to inflatable stand up paddle boards, there are some distinct qualities that make them quite an exception. The most significant of which however has got to be the fact that they’re inflatable.
The GT150 is a great example of how simple yet creative inflatable paddle boards can be. In most cases, inflatable SUP manufacturers tend to highlight the practicality of the inflatable element while completely disregarding all the ways in which they can actually create something new out of such flexible idea.
Hence, Wakooda, a leading manufacturer and the name behind the GT150, said why not create a inflatable paddle board that looks different from your everyday SUP. Why not create a SUP that is less round and more kayak-ish?
- Extra rugged drop stitch construction
- Soft Anti-skid EVA pad provides secure footing
- 14 D-rings; 4 of which are attached with a shock cord making a great storage area on bow
- 2 small side-fixed fins and 1 central detachable fin
- 1 carrying handle
- Package includes :
- Backpack with shoulder and waist straps
- Bravo HD inflation pump
- Bravo 2 piece adjustable SUP paddle
- Patch kit and yellow ankle leash.
|Material||Military-grade PVC + dropstitch construction|
|Weight limit||250+ lbs|
|Number of D-rings||14 D-rings|
|Recommended PSI||15 PSI|
|Fins||Two small fixed fins on sides, + 1 removable center fin|
|Carry handles||1 center carry handle|
The GT150 is a piece of work that reaches up to 12 feet 6 inches in length which is huge. You might not fully comprehend how long 12 feet really is but once you’ll stand by this beast, you’ll understand humility. 12 feet long isn’t only meant to dazzle you but also to make this board much more powerful on water.
At this size, it might struggle to gain speed but the GT150 builds momentum further beyond smaller boards and on flat water, that’ll become very evident.
When it comes to width, this giant measures a coherent 32 inches to balance out the length of the board. However, that doesn’t say anywhere near enough about this dimension. A board that is 32 inches wide is not only extremely more stable but it will also enable you to move around freely on top of it and find that comfortable position you’re looking for.
Concerning thickness, the GT150 decided to stick to 6 inches which is a common size amongst quality boards and for a very good reason too. Thinner boards are definitely lighter but they’re also more likely to bend at the center and dive under when the stakes are high. Hence why, 6 inches strikes a perfect equilibrium for this giant and allows you to invite more passengers on board when you feel like it.
Quality is also a huge distinction for the GT150. In fact, you can fairly argue that this might just be one of the most robust boards in the market at the moment. The Wakooda GT150 is strictly made of commercial grade 1000 denier which is then reinforced via an industrial double end drop stitch construction, making this board virtually indestructible.
In case you’re wondering what that translates to in real life then just think of a board that can survive a fatal roof drop. This is not only a presumption as this board has been effectively put through a bunch of torture tests and the results war far more impressive than the manufacturer had anticipated.
There isn’t much to say about the basic features of this board because it simply has it all. Even the minor details on the Wakooda GT150 make it a necessity to get this board as quickly as you can.
- The gripping pad which extends to cover up to 70% of the surface of the board has to take the lead in here because it’s simply stunning. There is nothing that can replace balance for paddle boards and the makers of this board fully understand that which is why they hooked the GT150 with an extra large extra durable gripping pad. This feature will not only improve your balance and grip over the board significantly but it’ll also make it a piece of cake to get back on top of it from water.
- The D-rings + bungee cord placement has got to receive some praise as well for being a very practical feature. Indeed, this settlement will make a great cargo net and help you store / transport anything from your fishing equipment to your paddle, enabling you to enjoy a hands free experience.
- The board is also equipped with a set of D-rings spreading all over its perimeter which can serve as a base to install a kayak seat, a backrest, a fishing bag, a paddle holder or to simply tow / secure the board.
- 3 dynamic fins were Wakooda’s idea of a successful navigation system and they are completely right. Most, if not all, boards right now are rocking the triple fin system because it works. The smaller side fins are very good at bouncing off side wind and outer forces which will enable you to track better whereas the central fin will grant you better control over the board, making navigation easy enough even for complete beginners.
Packaging is a double edged sword because it can easily make the difference between a great board and a next board. Luckily, the GT150 happens to come within a complete packaging, containing pretty much all you need to maintain this board:
- The package includes a collapsible aluminium paddle which is not only sturdy but also adjustable for shallow water and the length of the user.
- The Wakooda GT150 also comes with a mesh back pack carry bag which will make transporting and storing this giant a piece of cake. Also, the mesh part will enable the board to dry out faster which is very important. (trust me)
- The said package also includes a high pressure hand pump which is an essential tool in the paddler’s inventory because it’s your key to explore this fantastic product. PS: the pump comes with a special pressure gauge that’ll enable you to inflate the board to the appropriate amount (20 PSI).
- A repair kit is also part of the package although I doubt you’ll ever take it out with a board this sturdy.
As far as performance goes, the GT150 is one of the few recreational paddle boards that can actually compete with some of the racing boards out there. The dynamic design and strong sharp edges induce the speed of the board while the thick / wide body allows you impeccable balance, making this board great for racing.
- The Wakooda GT150 is a great deal for the buck
- It’s quite stable even on choppy water.
- The quality of the GT150 had to take first here because it’s simply splendid and nothing really competes with quality.
- Another significant aspect of the board has got to be the comprehensive package which is user friendly as it contains everything you’ll need to keep this board going.
- A board this big is rather challenging to pump up manually. So, I suggest you get yourself a little electric pump and save yourself the trouble of pumping it up every time.