It is not so usual to make a strong come back the way Wakooda did and that’s what makes it one of the better brands in the industry. Wakooda has been around for quite some time now and so far, it has put out tens and tens of different inflatable paddle boards in the market.
Nevertheless, only lately has the company picked up its pace back again from a short slumber and decided it was time to introduce the LA123. This might look like a normal inflatable paddle board to you but in the eyes of a fan boy, it is legendary. The LA123 has actually learned from all the previous models that the company has put out, making it an improved version of every Wakooda board.
- 12 D-rings scattered around the back of the board; 4 of which are attached with a bungee cord
- 1 center carry handle
- 3 fins : 2 small fixed fins + 1 large removable fin
- Wide EVA deck pad gives you lots of area to work with
- Package includes :
- 2 piece Bravo SUP adjustable paddle
- Bravo dual action high pressure inflation pump
- Ankle leash
- patch kit
|Dimensions||11' long x 32" wide x 6" thick|
|Material||Heavy-duty PVC & drop-stitch fabric|
|Weight limit||up to 250 lbs|
|Number of D-rings||
|Recommended PSI||12 - 15 PSI|
|Fins||3 Fins system: 2 fixed + 1 removable|
|Carry handles||1 center carry handle|
The size of a paddle board is critical for 2 main reasons: first, because it affects performance and second because it clearly defines who can ride it. Starting at the length of the LA123, we can clearly see that this is a board made for adults. At 11 feet sharp, this board is definitely designed to suit young adult and adult paddlers only which makes it an unfit choice for anyone under the standard size of those two categories.
The length might be critical but so is the width of the board and that is mainly why the company went for a 32 inches wide platform. At this size, the board is not going to budge in regular current, making it a safe environment for beginning paddlers. Indeed, the width of the LA123 will make it far more stable and consequently enhance the paddler’s balance and control over the board.
From width, we jump straight away to thickness which believe it or not is even more significant than the previous dimensions. Yes, thickness is critical and that explains why the brand went for the safest choice of 6 inches. This is in fact a solid thickness as it will do great at keeping you high above water level but most importantly, it will prevent the board from bending at the waist under a lot of pressure. Speaking of which, the LA123’s weight capacity ranges up to 250 pounds and that is very comforting.
We might have saved quality for second on this review but it definitely deserves place. However, why bother read about the quality of a board if it doesn’t even fit you?
Nonetheless, if you’re reading this then it means you found your match but is it strong enough? Well, the short answer to that is: and a little more. Indeed, Wakooda generally is known for creating solid boards and that’s what makes it a leading brand in the industry.
So, just like the previous models, the LA123 is made of the toughest military grade PVC material which is often found in Zodiac boats and some military bullet proof vests. If anything, this kind of build cannot be damaged in regular circumstances no matter the environment. Also, the board is further reinforced via an industrial drop stitch construction, making it virtually unbreakable. So, are you impressed yet?
The basic features of the Wakooda LA123 are not so different from most inflatable paddle boards out there and that’s what makes it a solid pick. Truly, the standard features on inflatable paddle boards make up a whole lot of what it is to be an inflatable. So, what does the LA123 has to offer?
- The first thing which catches our attention when looking at the LA123 must be the beautifully designed gripping pad. This is a simple Eva pad which also happens to cover up over 70% of the board’s platform. This design is going to make it a lot easier for you to keep your balance on top of the board but most importantly, it will grant you a better grip and better command over it.
- Also, the stainless steel D-rings attached with a bungee cord is a nice little feature which is pretty much indispensable. The placement makes a solid cargo net which will help you transport and store your belongings safely as you paddle across towards your destination. The net can hold up anything from fishing gear to your sandals, so make sure to use it.
- The board also features 3 D-rings on each side of the board which can serve many purposes. First of which, the D-rings on the side can be used to install a shoulder strap to carry the board outside the water. Also, the D-rings can help you install a kayak seat which opens up a world of possibilities for you.
In terms of performance, let’s just say that the LA123 makes a fantastic recreational board. Before proceeding, you must bear in mind that this board is primarily designed for beginning paddlers and that means it leans more towards an easier command of the board rather than speed. However, that does not mean that the board will fail you. Actually, the LA123’s sharp edges and impressive triple fin navigation system grants you a smooth command and an impressive straight tracking.
As far as packaging is concerned, you can say that the LA123 is one of the luckiest iSUPs in the industry and that means that you might be one of the luckiest paddlers because the package in which it comes includes pretty much all you’ll need to maintain the board.
- The board comes with a 2 piece adjustable paddle.
- The package also includes a Bravo HD high pressure hand pump.
- Further, Wakooda hooks you up with a back pack.
- Last but not least, the LA123 includes an ankle leash and a patch kit.
- The best thing about the LA123 must be the build quality as it is easily one of the most durable inflatable paddle boards on the market.
- The healthy package in which the board comes is also a huge plus and that is something to cherish because it makes all the difference.
- The Wakooda L32 is designed to perform relatively well on various water conditions.
- As for cons, it’s really difficult to think of any. If anything, I’d say that this isn’t by any means a performance board.