There isn’t much to say about inflatable stand up paddle boards except the fact that they are great. I know I’m going get a lot of hate from authentic board lovers when I say this but inflatable SUP boards are simply better. My case is simple; imagine a great stand up paddle board that can perform just as well, looks just as well but a thousand times more practical.
The thing about inflatable paddle boards is that they embody everything that is a SUP and a little more. The fact that you can deflate a giant board, roll it up and stash it inside a small back pack is simply genius. Not only will this save you the trouble of transporting your board to the nearest body of water but it’ll also make storing it a piece of cake.
Sure, that sounds great but there’s a little more to it than just that. Now that you made up your mind on inflatable boards as a category, where do you go from there? Well, how about the Xterra 10′ inflatable paddle board.
- Military-grade PVC material reinforced with drop stitch construction
- Comfortable deck pad.
- 6 D-rings; 4 of which attached with a bungee cord up front
- 2 small fins + 1 central removable fin
- 1 comfortable carrying handle
- Package includes :
- High-Pressure Pump
- Removable Center Fin
- Coiled leash
|Dimensions||10"x 30"x 6"|
|Material||Military-grade PVC + Rigid Dropstitch & Double-Sided reinforcement|
|Number of D-rings||6 D-rings|
|Recommended PSI||15 PSI|
|Fins||Two small fixed fins on sides, + 1 Removable Center Fin|
|Carry handles||1 center carry handle|
The Xterra is a sublime board and that is strictly denoted by its length which reaches up to 10 feet. There’s no other way to put it besides that this is a giant board and trust me, 10 feet might not sound that splendid now. However, once you stand beside this board, you’ll learn humility. Nevertheless, being a giant board restricts the range of users to young adults and adults. So, if you’re younger then you should consider a smaller paddle board.
In terms of width, the board measures an astounding 30 inches. The idea behind this is very simple and it goes something like this: the wider the platform the more balanced it is. Didn’t sound complicated at all, right? Well, that’s not all there is to it. In fact, a board this wide isn’t only balance inducing but it’ll also grant you more freedom to move around on top of it without risking falling into the water.
As far as thickness is concerned, this is a 6 inches thick board which is equivalent to a standard hard board. The reasoning behind this exact number is to steer as far as possible from drowning. Boards that are thinner are rather more susceptive to getting submerged at the center under a lot of water which is honestly one of the most annoying things about paddle boarding. Not to worry, 6 inches will keep you high and dry (in a positive way) Actually, you can even use this board as a diving pad.
In terms of Xterra paddle boards quality, I believe that nothing says trust like a body strictly made of military grade PVC material. As if that is not impressive enough, Xterra thought why not enhance the rigidity of the board via an industrial drop stitch construction instead of simply gluing it like some manufacturers do.
In other words, this board is officially indestructible and that is not a presumption as this board went through a bunch of torture tests just to prove how robust it is. Unsurprisingly, the Xterra 10’ inflatable SUP board managed to pull through high drops, rocky shores and even getting run over by a car.
Even the most basic and minor details on this board reek of quality and that is a solid indicator that the overall condition of the board is on another level. However, today we will take a look at the Xterra’s most prominent features and highlight the uses of each:
- The most appealing feature on the board has got to be the bright red gripping pad, covering over 50% of the platform. All the better, the larger the gripping pad on any stand up paddle board the better. Gripping pads are great at granting you a better grip / control over your board but they’re also pretty useful for when you are in wild water and need to move around constantly to maintain a strong balance. Not only that but a good gripping pad will also come in very handy when you’ll need to get back on your board once you fall in the water and trust me, you’ll fall a lot as a beginner.
- The cargo net which consists of 4 stainless steel D-rings + a bungee cord is yet another great feature of the Xterra. This placement is probably the most used feature on any stand up paddle board because it can serve as a shelter for anything from your fishing equipment to your paddle.
- Also, the Xterra is hooked with a couple extra large D-rings on the nose and far rear of the board which are there to help you tow or secure your board at ease whenever needed.
- Moreover, the navigation system on this inflatable is rather impressive as it consists of 2 small side fins that block all sorts of side way forces whereas the large central fin helps improve control and tracking in a straight line.
- Last but definitely not least, some credit has to go to the overall design and color matching of the board because it’s easily one of the best looking inflatable paddle boards out there which cannot be said about many iSUPs in the market.
Packaging is usually known as the deal breaker but often times than not, it is also a deal maker because a package can truly make the difference between a joyful experience and a heartache. Fortunately for you, this Xterra just happens to understand what is a complete package and it goes something like this:
- The first thing you’ll find in the Xterra’s package is the light yet robust paddle. This right here is a top quality paddle and most importantly, it’s collapsible / adjustable to your height and the depth of the water.
- Also, you’ll find that the Xterra comes with a nice back pack carry bag which is quite the relief as it’ll make it even easier to transport / store this board. Also, the back pack can fit most of the accessories + the board!
- Further, the package also includes a high pressure hand pump which is an essential tool in the paddler’s inventory. The pump is also hooked with a pressure gauge to help you pump your board to the exact degree which is usually around 15 PSI for a board this size.
- Finally, the board also comes with a removable central fin which is a nice touch because it’s always better to remove your large central fin in shallow water as it’s possible to damage it that way.
As far as performance goes, all I can tell you is that the Xterra will perform far better than most recreational boards out there and arguably even as good as some competitive racing SUPs. This board is engineered gracefully to produce as much speed as possible but it’s also optimized for beginners mainly which shifts the focus a little bit towards balance and control as well. All in all, this is a solid performer and you will not regret it.
- The Xterra 10′ iSUP board is a very well-engineered paddle board. It’s sturdy, stable and easy to stand on.
- The packaging is just right as it includes everything you’ll need to maintain your board and keep it up and rolling at all times.
- There isn’t really anything worth solid criticism on this board except the fact that this paddle board isn’t that fast. Granted, it’s a recreational paddle board not a race board.
Xterra 10′ inflatable Paddle Board – More Images