I remember the first time I encountered one of the Airhead’s products; I expected a lot looking at its fine details and I was not disappointed.
Airhead is one of the strongly rising names in the inflatable stand up paddle boards’ industry that provides its customers with different models from which you can choose the best one for your interest, size and needed features.
What I am about to present here is a board that is designed for extreme strength and outstanding performance; the Airhead Pace is absolutely a big guy with great design and features, and that, we’ll see together on this review.
- Extra Thick (4mm) EVA Traction Pad
- Integrated bungee systems and multiple D-rings for storage and attachments
- Air-7 Box with 9″ Race Removable Fin
- 1 comfortable center carry handle
- EZ Push Hi Pressure Valve
- Multiple stainless Steel Tie-Down Points
- Package includes :
- Mesh backpack
- Air-7 Box with 9″ Race Removable Fin
- Stainless steel tow ring
- Hi pressure hand pump with pressure gauge
- Valve wrench
- Board strap & repair kit
|Dimensions||12’6″ x 30″ x 6″|
|Material||Marine grade durability – Industrial grade rubber and drop-stitching|
|Weight limit||300 lbs|
|Number of D-rings||6 D-rings
|Recommended PSI||15 PSI|
|Fins||9″ Race Removable Fin|
|Carry handles||1 center carry handle|
The Airhead Pace 1230 is definitely not a board to miss around with; it is 12.6 feet tall, 30 inches wide and 6 inches thick. I don’t want to say that this board wouldn’t be the best choice for a beginner, but maybe you can check the Airhead Pace 1030 which I totally recommend for entry level paddlers.
The Airhead Pace 1230 features a very sleek design with great curves; I know, like a fine, good-looking lady. Now keep focused; the Airhead Pace 1230 comes with a long tapered nose and slight tip rocker which if does anything it makes the board slide smoother than ever on flat water.
The Pace 1230 is best suited for lakes and calm rivers, but it wouldn’t be bad at all if you take it on a little adventure to the ocean; just be careful because it might be a bit demanding to control a whole 12.6 feet.
All in all, this is a board with really good dimensions for a variety of activities including long distance touring, recreational paddling or even racing if you are interested to try.
Most companies are aware of the fact that inflatable products are always a red line where people have to think twice before purchasing any and that’s for an obvious reason; once your iSUP is damaged; it’s no more the same.
Airhead, like many other leading brands, decided to reinforce their iSUPs with a 0.6mm high-density 1000 Denier PVC tarpaulin top and bottom and strengthen them with a double-wall of military grade PVC material.
Personally, I can’t believe how stiff and hard an inflatable paddle board can be once fully inflated; it’s a fun thing to witness every time.
The Pace 1230 is made to withstand years of use, sun and weight without losing shape thanks to the X-Cross technology with which it is made; your board is supposed to be 20% stiffer than other drop-stitch constructions. Yet, my advice to you no matter what board you’re getting, as long as it is inflatable, it to always be a friendly user to extend its durability.
Getting here, I always insist that what inflatable stand up paddle boards have to offer is incomparable to authentic ones. The Pace 1230 is designed with peculiar details to bring the best of stand up paddle boarding to the water, and these that I’m going to mention are the most eminent ones:
- The first thing that would probably attract your attention is the color; the Pace 1230 is bright blue with a unique anti-slip pad that is stripped in black and white. It looks really professional if you ask me; those strips make it look sharper and slimmer.
- Being mentioned, the grip pad is 4 mm thick and it covers half the giant Pace 1230. It is made to not only prevent your feet from slipping off the board, but also to boost your balance and be the hard and stiff platform you need to stand tall and have total control over the board.
- Moreover, what’s also going to help you with control is the fin system and how it is meant to improve the Pace 1230’s performance as a whole. You’ll find one removable large fin which is so easy to attach/detach. This fin is slim and sharp to allow the smoothest water tracking ever.
Not only that, the same fin will make the board more stable while paddling which is very necessary for a successful ride.
- Now, the thing about an inflatable stand up paddle board which you’d never find on an authentic one is the space for you to pack anything on board using the extremely functional bungee system. The Pace 1230 is featured with 6 D-rings; 4 of which are on the nose and are connected with a bungee cord that will allow you to secure the paddle, a meal-box or any of your tools to the back of the board. The 5th D-ring is on the board’s tail and it’s meant for safety leash attachment, and the 6th is designed for towing as it located beneath the board’s nose.
- Board size: 12'6" x 30" x 6" (381 x 76 x 15 cm)
- For Paddlers 120 - 300 lbs. (54 - 136 kg)
- Extra thick (4mm) EVA traction pad
There are certain items that an inflatable standup paddle board wouldn’t do without; that’s why it’s always a pleasure to find a complete package with everything you’d need to handle the iSUP. The Pace 1230, however, comes in a package that does not include a paddle; it shouldn’t be that bad though because you can always order one along with the board. Thus, you’ll find on this package:
- A high pressure hand pump that’ll allow you to inflate the board anywhere you go because it’s made to be easily transported. Along with the pump you’ll find a pressure gauge which will keep you noted to the pressure level. Speaking of which, the Pace 1230 can be pumped up to 15 PSI which is enough to make it so stiff and rock-hard. A valve wrench is also included for easy safe pumping/deflating.
- A mesh carry backpack which might not be the strongest choice if you’re traveling with your iSUP, but it’s the best one for packing because it’ll make sure the board gets enough air once stored.
- Finally, you’ll find a board strap to secure the deflated and packed iSUP, and a repair kit to be taken everywhere with you for worst case scenario.
The Pace 1230 is a 12.6 feet tall board, and if that is to say anything it would be that it is a versatile board. It performs smoothly in flat water as it is really stable.
The fact that is it made of extremely durable and strong material makes it rigid, stiff and almost indestructible. I wouldn’t say that it is hard to control due to its size but it might be a little of a challenge for beginners. However, the slim design given to it makes a very responsive board of it.
- The Airhead Pace 1230 is a giant inflatable stand up paddle board.
It’s stiff, rigid and made to maintain its shape and performance.
The color choice for this board is classy and professional, yet sharp and screams of adventure.
- It can take up speed quite quickly.
- To include a paddle in the package would’ve been the cherry on top of the cake especially considering the price tag!
- A board this big is rather challenging to pump up manually. So, I suggest you get yourself a little electric pump and save yourself the trouble of pumping it up every time.
- This giant paddle board can be a bit challenging to control in choppy water especially if you’re a beginner
Airhead Pace 1230 iSUP – Video
Airhead Pace 1230 iSUP – More Images